Monday, February 25, 2008

how to tell people you are moving into a van

i've had this experience a few times now where i tell someone i'm moving out of my house, they ask "where are you moving to?" and i say one of several things--"oh i don't know" to which most react with a confused/disbelieving look and a need for more explanation. or "i'm gonna stay with my boyfriend for a while" which is a lie, and i feel bad about because i'm trying for radical honesty and this ain't it. or "i'm going to live in my van" which brings a host of responses like--what?!, uh..., (blank stare), oh you are out of your mind, ok..., but where will you shower/poop/park etc., do you need a place to stay?, are you in desperate circumstances? then i feel like i have to launch into a diatribe about how i'm CHOOSING to van-dwell, and i don't HAVE to and if i need something i'll call or get it or whatever. i'm on the defensive, i feel a little stupid, and it feels like i sprout 3 heads when i give an honest answer. most people think that not having a stick house=homeless. and that is a bad thing in their eyes--maybe it's their worst fear. my worst fear, however, is being trapped in a bunch of debt with no end in sight, never being able to travel or take time off, and working my whole life away at a job i don't care about. i feel the american dream is a big fat lie meant to keep the majority too busy to notice the insanity that's going down around them. if you work 50 hours a week or more to buy the toys you want to keep you busy in all your free time while the neighbors envy you, what time do you have to think about the purpose of your life? how do you know what is real or important? when it comes down to it, is what you spend your time on that significant? i think it should be--and i want to spend less time making money, more time learning what i want to learn, going where i want to go and experiencing people who inspire me. that's really it. that's the purpose of van life for me.

5 comments:

IW said...

I know ive probably told you this before, but I LOVE your blog, I love how you write and I love how a lot of what you say is how I think and feel too. You are no alone :)

Just living the best I can said...

To many people have bought into the so call "American Dream" The media sets the standards and we follow like sheep. Unfortunately those who work 50hr weeks have only 122 hrs to enjoy there wealth, remove another 56 hrs sleeping, 5-10hrs commuting, 5hrs getting ready for work, 7hrs cleaning and 14hrs watching TV, and don't forget home maintenance another 2 hrs or more on weekends. What do you get, that leaves 3-4hrs a day to do shopping,eating, using the restroom, reading the mail. Not much time for anything else.

stranger in a strange van said...

thanks for the support, it means alot to me that you care and check in on me. you are cool.

Bon vivant said...

This is oh so true. Just saw a clip called The Story of Stuff, or something like that that was very enlightening and your readers may enjoy if if they can locate it online.

Bon Chance!

FALIA REVIEWS: said...

I agree whole-heartedly, I swear, it is like your words are the same ones that have been coming out of my mouth, mind, and fingertips! :) I notice that someone mentioned here about the "stuff" video.. Someone just put a link to the same video on my site, it is great.. Let's see, the link to it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
I really enjoy reading your blog, you are a kindred spirit.