1. likes the idea of living outside in all weather conditions--this is what van life is about, you will have some shelter but get used to existing out doors.
2. likes being naked outside--this will happen sooner or later, if you like it, then all the better.
3. not afraid of using public restrooms for all they are worth--get cozy with unfamiliar toilets and feel lucky when you find a private lockable bathroom with hot water. sink-shower time!
4. likes one pot meals--the less dishes the better, there's really no time for cleaning caked on crud, so keep it simple and clean it up immediately. living without running water teaches you the value of cleaning before it dries on.
5. puts things away when done using them--nothing teaches this faster than the sound of glass breaking when you hit the brakes, no cats were harmed in this accident, just lost a jar of sarah's mineral tea:(
6. would rather pay for fuel than rent--because you will.
7. would rather listen to the rain than the tv--the sounds of nature are your soundtrack when you have limited electricity. one of the biggest benefits!
8. has a knack for finding shady parking spots--even if you don't have an animal inside, keeping your stuff from boiling makes for a happier life.
9. comfortable on the fringes of society--most people think you're strange, some will not want to associate with you, others may try to oppress you because they can't stand having you in their vision. vandwelling is just too much for some folks.
10. has a decent support network--you will need a physical address for some things, maybe some storage, and some safe havens to curl up and rest. mom and dad are good for this, or anyone else who knows what you're doing and loves you no matter what.
KCHBR day 8: zero in Visalia
2 weeks ago